Thursday, November 7, 2013

A little about Tyumen












Hello family, friends and all those who stumble upon this page. I'll use this blog to replace the previous one that I had on nfinity.com. That one has since been discontinued but I still want to do a blog so that you all can keep up with my adventures in my pro volleyball career.

Quick update, I am playing in Tyumen, Russia. Where?! you say, yep it's in Siberia, just on the western edge but it still is in Siberia. It is one place that I never thought I would play or visit but Russia is one of the best volleyball leagues in the world right now so here I am. I am still so thankful to be playing volleyball as my "job", I am thankful every day for my health and the joy and love that I have for this game. I've had so many wonderful opportunities to travel, see new places and meet so many different people through playing volleyball. It is a lifestyle that I never imagined for myself but at the same time I can't really see myself doing anything else besides this right now.


Ok so Tyumen is just east of the Ural Mountains in Siberia on the Tura River. Tyumen was the first Russian settlement in Siberia and continues to remain an important industrial and economic center in Siberia. I can see that the city is growing from all of the roads being expanded and all of the new apartment complexes being built. The population is around 585,000.  It is 57N degrees latitude which is the same latitude as Sitka, Alaska. Has anybody seen the movie The Proposal? Sitka, Alaskaaaaaaaaa! I love that movie so I was happy to find out that we are on the same latitude. Tyumen is only 262 feet about sea level, so not quite like the places that I am used to with the high elevation but I'm sure we will still get plenty of snow here anyways.

The temperature has consistently been in the 30's, sometimes the days get up into the 40's but the days are getting shorter and shorter so the temperature doesn't rise as much during the day. No major snow yet. We have had a few dustings but nothing too severe, we have actually have had more rain than I thought that we would. Right now the sun is rising around 9 am and setting just before 6pm. I can feel the days getting shorter! Waking up in the dark before practice is never fun, it makes it tough to wake up. Russia also doesn't observe daylight savings time so I am now +13 hours from Colorado and +14 from California. With those time changes I literally feel on the other side of the world sometimes. But I do my best talking with friends and family back home through FaceTime and Skype, I'd be so lost without that!

Kyle, my husband, usually travels with me. We are waiting for some papers from the team to be mailed to him so that he can apply for his visa. One thing that I learned quickly about Russia is that they love their paperwork and they have mountains of it. It has taken so much longer than initially anticipated for Kyle's paperwork to be processed and it is very difficult to be patient. Both of us are hoping that the papers arrive sometime soon and then he can start the application process on his end and hopefully he can come out here by the end of November or early December.

I truly miss having my best friend and support system with me but I've been very fortunate to have teammates that are caring and welcoming. I'm also happy to be playing for a team that is very professional and helpful with many other things. Every place that I have played overseas has its challenges and things that you have to overcome or adjust to. It is part of living in a different country and learning about their culture. I'm reminded daily that patience is a virtue and to try and take it one day at a time.

My day typically looks like this. Up around 8am so that I can catch the team bus at 8:30 for practice which is from 9:30-11:30. The drive is typically 30-40 minutes depending on traffic. Post practice we are fed lunch of some meat (I usually go for the chicken) and pasta, some Russian salad (veggies with lots of mayo, no thanks!) and soup. There is always fresh fruit and juices to choose from too. Back on the bus after lunch and back to my apartment where I try and do my devotional and Rosetta Stone. I'm trying to learn some about the Russian language to help me adjust to being here. Then I catch the bus again around 4:15 for practice from 5-7. We shower at the gym after both practices and head home around 8pm. I get in lots of FaceTime after my night practice because that's when most people at home are available. Off to bed and up to do it all over again.

We have a break from games right now because there is World Grand Champions Cup in Japan that a lot of national teams are competing in, so the next time we play is November 23rd. In upcoming posts I'll update on how the season is going so far and what its like to travel to and from games.

Hello to everyone back home!

XOXO
Sonja
 One of our first home games. I'm back in #16 for this season.
 Exploring Tyumen on an off day.
 Me and my teammates.
 Cheering on our men's team at one of their home games.
 
 
Ferris wheel in the center in Tyumen.


View from my apartment.

2 comments:

  1. Your smile and the other picture of you making the "kill" says it all for me. WOW!

    Greg (Dad A)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was realy estonished to hear that you are in Sibiria to play volleyball, Sonja. I think on the flight to Russia you should have been landed in Germany to force the Rote Raben team there. ;-) Have a good time in Russia, have fun there - and come back one day to Bavaria.

    ReplyDelete